Dr. Vinod Gauba
|Dr. Vinod Gauba|
Medical Director – FRCOphth (UK), MSc (UK), PAMEd (UK), MBBS (Hons, UK)
Oculo – Facial Plastic Surgeon
Orbital, Lacrimal, Cataract, Refractive (LASIK) & Laser Surgery Specialist
Associate Professor and Medical Director
- Graduated with Honors from Guy’s King’s and St Thomas’ School of Medicine in London, and then proceeded to train for 7 years in Ophthalmology.
- Recipient of the prestigious Mahatma Gandhi Gold Medal at the House of Lords, London 2014 in recognition of his dedication to global advancement and achievement in ophthalmology
- Winner of the Cleveland Clinic Clinician of the Year Award 2013, at the Arab Health Awards
- Winner of the Young Surgeon of the Year Award 2012, at the Arab Health Awards
- Pioneer of SupraLASIK™, advanced vision correction treatment with a lifetime guarantee.
- One of the very few super-specialists in the world of oculo-facial surgery, including blepharoplasty, brow lift, ptosis correction and orbital procedures.
- Specialized in Advanced vision correction (SupraLASIK™), Advanced Cataract surgery and Medical Ophthalmology.
- Published over 25 articles in leading international peer-reviewed journals and several book chapters.
Prof. Dr. Gauba comes from a strong medical background in the UAE with his family being in the Dubai healthcare sector for over 30 years as specialist doctors. His father was one of the first few Ophthalmologists in the UAE.
Dr. Gauba was raised in the UAE but born and fully trained in United Kingdom. After completing his medical degree (with honours) from Guy’s King’s and St.Thomas’ School of Medicine in London, he proceeded to train for 7 years in Ophthalmology. Dr Gauba has over 13 years experience in the UK after which he joined the Imperial Healthcare team as the medical director in 2008.
He completed the full UK training program including specialising in paediatric ophthalmology, medical ophthalmology including retinal diseases, glaucoma, anterior segment, neuro-ophthalmology, cataract surgery and oculofacial surgery. He proceeded to complete three fellowship programs in Oculofacial Surgery, Orbital and Lacrimal Surgery including one at Moorfields Eye Hospital, London. He also received dedicated Refractive Surgery training from some of the pioneers and forefathers of LASIK and laser eye surgery, Professor Ioannis Pallikaris and Professor Michael O’Keeffe. He went on to take up a consultant position at the Royal Victoria Eye and Ear Hospital, Dublin prior to returning to Dubai.
Dr. Gauba has published over 25 articles in leading international peer-review journals. He has received many accolades for his work and is routinely asked to review articles and provide press releases as a result of his advances in the world of Ophthalmology. His Masters in Science in Medical Research from the University of Oxford and Leeds also gives him additional experience in this field. He is closely linked with the Royal College of Ophthalmologists, of which he is a fellow, where he has been responsible for organizing and supervising many educational activities. His post-graduate qualification in Medical Education from the University of Warwick puts him in a unique position to serve as an experienced surgeon, clinical educator and international researcher.
Dr. Gauba speaks English, French, Spanish, Hindi, Urdu and has a post-graduate qualification in Arabic along with speaking Khaleeji Arabic.
Dr. Gauba is an active member of the following international committees and societies :
- American Academy of Cosmetic Surgery
- American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
- American Academy of Ophthalmology
- Royal College of Ophthalmologists (Fellow)
- International Society of Refractive Surgery
- European Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery
- University of Oxford Center of Evidence Based Medicine
- Emirates Medical Association
- Middle East African Cataract and Refractive Surgery Society (Founding Member) and Middle East African Oculoplastic Society (Founding Member)
Dr. Gauba is an sub-specialist expert in the following procedures:
- Advanced Cataract surgery : no stitches, no injections (topical anaesthesia) with premium intra-ocular lenses
- Advanced SupraLASIK™ laser eye surgery including ALL LASER surgery (no cutting, no flap)
- Implantable Collamer Lens (ICL) refractive surgery for correction of prescriptions up to -20
- Laser Glaucoma Surgery
- Lower lid blepharoplasty (removal of eye bags): no stitches, no scar
- Upper lid blepharoplasty; Internal Brow lift; Ptosis correction (upper eyelid lift)
- Endoscopic Brow and Forehead Lift
- Endoscopic Mid-face Lift
- Botulinum toxin and Fillers
- Endoscopic DCR surgery for blocked tear ducts (watery eye)
- Gauba V, Curtis ZJ. Sleep position and the ocular surface in a high air flow environment. Saudi J Ophthalmol. 2014 Jan;28(1):66-8. doi:10.1016/j.sjopt.2013.12.002. Epub 2013 Dec 12. PubMed PMID: 24526862; PubMedCentral PMCID: PMC3923194.
- Gauba V. External versus endonasal dacryocystorhinostomy in a specialized lacrimal surgery center. Saudi J Ophthalmol. 2014 Jan;28(1):36-9. doi:10.1016/j.sjopt.2013.11.007. Epub 2013 Dec 9. PubMed PMID: 24526856; PubMedCentral PMCID: PMC3923204.
- Golnik C, Beaver H, Gauba V, Lee AG, Mayorga E, Palis G, Saleh GM. Development of a new valid, reliable, and internationally applicable assessment tool of residents’ competence in ophthalmic surgery (an American Ophthalmological Society thesis). Trans Am Ophthalmol Soc. 2013 Sep;111:24-33. PubMed PMID: 24072944;PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3783252.
- Saleh GM, Litwin A, Collin JR, Rose GE, Gauba V, Ghoussayni S, Hussain B.Kinematic analysis in oculoplastic reconstructive surgery: measuring manualcontrol and fluidity of movement. Arch Ophthalmol. 2012 Dec;130(12):1570-4. doi: 10.1001/archophthalmol.2012.2721. PubMed PMID: 23229699.
- Golnik KC, Gauba V, Saleh GM, Collin R, Naik MN, Devoto M, Nerad J. The ophthalmology surgical competency assessment rubric for lateral tarsal strip surgery. Ophthal Plast Reconstr Surg. 2012 Sep-Oct;28(5):350-4. PubMed PMID:22836797.
- Golnik KC, Haripriya A, Beaver H, Gauba V, Lee AG, Mayorga E, Palis G, SalehGM. Cataract surgery skill assessment. Ophthalmology. 2011Oct;118(10):2094-2094.e2. doi: 10.1016/j.ophtha.2011.06.039. PubMed PMID:21968168.
- Golnik KC, Beaver H, Gauba V, Lee AG, Mayorga E, Palis G, Saleh GM. Cataractsurgical skill assessment. Ophthalmology. 2011 Feb;118(2):427.e1-5. doi:10.1016/j.ophtha.2010.09.023. PubMed PMID: 21292117.
- Saleh GM, Tossounis CM, Litwin AS, Gauba V, Samaras K, McLean CJ.Monocanalicular versus bicanalicular intubation in external dacryocystorhinostomy for primary acquired nasolacrimal duct obstruction. Orbit. 2009;28(2-3):110-4.PubMed PMID: 19839894.
- Saleh GM, Lindfield D, Sim D, Tsesmetzoglou E, Gauba V, Gartry DS, Ghoussayni S. Kinematic analysis of surgical dexterity in intraocular surgery. ArchOphthalmol. 2009 Jun;127(6):758-62. doi: 10.1001/archophthalmol.2009.137. PubMed PMID: 19506194.
- Gauba V, Islam T, Saleh GM, Zuberbuhler B, Vize C. The practice of dacryocystorhinostomy (DCR) surgery by ophthalmologists in the United Kingdom(UK). Orbit. 2008;27(4):279-83. doi: 10.1080/01676830802224841. Erratum in:Orbit. 2008;27(5):395. Islam, Tahir [added]; Saleh, George M [added];Zuberbuhler, Bruno [added]; Vize, Colin [added]. PubMed PMID: 18716965.
- Goel S, Kolli LR, Desai SP, Kumar A, Gauba V, Jayamanne GR. Povidone iodine causes opacification of silicone intraocular lens implants. Acta Ophthalmol. 2008Nov;86(7):773-7. doi: 10.1111/j.1600-0420.2007.01124.x. Epub 2008 Jun 20. PubMed PMID: 18631337.
- Saleh GM, Gauba V, Sim D, Lindfield D, Borhani M, Ghoussayni S. Motion analysis as a tool for the evaluation of oculoplastic surgical skill: evaluation of oculoplastic surgical skill. Arch Ophthalmol. 2008 Feb;126(2):213-6. doi:10.1001/archophthalmol.2007.62. PubMed PMID: 18268212.
- Gauba V, Tsangaris P, Tossounis C, Mitra A, McLean C, Saleh GM. Human Reliability Analysis of Cataract Surgery. Arch Ophthalmol. 2008 Feb;126(2):173-7.doi: 10.1001/archophthalmol.2007.47. PubMed PMID: 18268206.
- Gauba V, Saleh GM, Goel S. Ophthalmic plastic surgical skills assessment tool. Ophthal Plast Reconstr Surg. 2008 Jan-Feb;24(1):43-6. doi:10.1097/IOP.0b013e31815ebb14. PubMed PMID: 18209640.
- Saleh GM, Gauba V, Tsangaris P, Tharmaseelan K. Digital subtraction dacryocystography and syringing in the management of epiphora. Orbit. 2007Dec;26(4):249-53. PubMed PMID: 18097962.
- Zuberbuhler B, Agrawal A, Gale R, Kipioti T, Gauba V, Noble B. Modified Ruiz procedure for reducing high astigmatism after penetrating keratoplasty. Cornea.2007 Dec;26(10):1171-7. PubMed PMID: 18043170.
- Ghazawy S, Springell K, Gauba V, McKibbin MA, Inglehearn CF. Dominant retinitis pigmentosa phenotype associated with a new mutation in the splicing factor PRPF31. Br J Ophthalmol. 2007 Oct;91(10):1411-3. PubMed PMID: 17895420;PubMed Central PMCID: PMC2000988.
- Chung AK, Gauba V, Saleh GM. Assessing resident competency. Ophthalmology.2007 Aug;114(8):1587-8. PubMed PMID: 17678698.
- Saleh GM, Gauba V, Mitra A, Beckingsale AB, Aziz O, Allen RJ. Electromagnetic interference by cellular phones with ophthalmic equipment. Acta Ophthalmol Scand.2007 May;85(3):345-6. PubMed PMID: 17488470.
- Saleh GM, Gauba V, Mitra A, Litwin AS, Chung AK, Benjamin L. Objective structured assessment of cataract surgical skill. Arch Ophthalmol. 2007Mar;125(3):363-6. PubMed PMID: 17353407.
- Gauba V, Cooper M, Liu C. Vicarious menstruation in primary localized conjunctival amyloidosis. Arch Ophthalmol. 2006 Sep;124(9):1361-2. PubMed PMID:16966641.
- Gauba V, Saldanha M, Vize C, Saleh GM. Thiopurine methyltransferase screening before azathioprine therapy. Br J Ophthalmol. 2006 Jul;90(7):923-4. PubMed PMID: 16782959; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC1857159.
- Bhermi GS, Gauba V, Brittain P. Spontaneous bony orbital auto-decompressionin thyroid ophthalmopathy. Orbit. 2006 Jun;25(2):123-5. PubMed PMID: 16754221.
- Gauba V, Saleh GM, Dua G, Agarwal S, Ell S, Vize C. Radiological classification of anterior skull base anatomy prior to performing medial orbital wall decompression. Orbit. 2006 Jun;25(2):93-6. PubMed PMID: 16754215.
- Gauba V, Saleh GM, Watson K, Chung A. Sub-Tenon anaesthesia: reduction in subconjunctival haemorrhage with controlled bipolar conjunctival cautery. Eye(Lond). 2007 Nov;21(11):1387-90. Epub 2006 Jun 2. PubMed PMID: 16751757.
- Vize CJ, Gauba V, Atkinson PL. Eye injury as a result of coat toggle trauma. Eye (Lond). 2007 Jan;21(1):94-5. Epub 2005 Nov 25. PubMed PMID: 16311524.
- Chung AK, Gauba V, Ghanchi FD. Photodynamic therapy (PDT) using verteporfin for juxtafoveal choroidal neovascularisation (CNV) in angioid streaks (AS)associated with pseudoxanthoma elasticum: 40 months results. Eye (Lond). 2006May;20(5):629-31. PubMed PMID: 15920567.
- Gauba V, Kelleher S, Raines MF. A case of inadvertent ocular perforation and intravitreal injection of depomedrone during peribulbar injection. Good visual prognosis with delayed vitrectomy. Eye (Lond). 2003 Nov;17(9):1039-40. PubMed PMID: 14704757.